Friday, September 2, 2022

Goals are not so easy

I have come to the conclusion that achieving your goals is not so easy. That might sound strange coming from someone who is re-tooling to be a youth life coach.

What I mean is you have to be super intentional about your goals. Otherwise, the interruptions of daily life become the rhythm of your weeks, months and then your entire year.

One thing I like to do (often at the beginning of the new year) is write a letter to myself dated one year in the future. If I were to write this letter today, I'd date the letter September 2, 2023. In the letter, I'm writing as if it were September 2, 2023 and I reflect upon all the things that happened over the last year, which of course, haven't happened yet. I've noticed that when I set intentions about what I'd like to say I've done, a lot of those things actually became a reality.

I'm curious about why that is, especially as the letter is put away and not a daily reminder. My theory is once I've identified what I want to achieve, I'm using those goals as a lens that helps me choose how I spend my time. That's what I mean about being intentional.

Try it for yourself. See if it's useful. Might help, can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated.